Ostrander and Scioto Township History

 
Home Scioto Township Ostrander Other Places Maps Schools Fire Department Genealogy
Post Office Military Parks Cemeteries Communication Water Organizations Black History
Library & Links Bibliography Commerce Railroad Churches Banking Timeline Contact Us

HUSBAND

Col. James M. Crawford  (1)
Parents Col. James W.Crawford, Nancy Stephens  (1)
Born June 11, 1834, Scioto Twp., Delaware Co., OH  (1)
Died  
Buried  
WIFE Sarah M .Henry  (1)
Parents  
Born  
Died  
Buried  
Married 1864  (1)
CHILDREN  
 
 

 

PHOTO ALBUM
     
       
RECORDS
None found.
OCCUPATION
Superintendent, State Reform School for Girls (31)
MILITARY
See Biography
KNOWN RESIDENCES
None found.
IN THE NEWS
None found.
BIOGRAPHY

COL. JAMES M. CRAWFORD, Delaware; was born in Scioto Township, Delaware Co., Ohio, June 11, 1834, and is the son of James W. and Nancy (Stephen) Crawford; his mother was one of the first white children born in Franklin Co., Ohio, on the opposite bank of the Scioto, where Columbus now stands; his father was born in Pennsylvania, and came to Delaware Co. about 1804 or 1806, first locating in Liberty Township, whence he removed to Scioto Township, where he remained until 1839, during which time he was engaged in farming and milling; he also filled several offices of public trust-Magistrate, Representative, and was to the State Senate ; he was a soldier of the war of 1812, having enlisted and recruited men from this and adjoining counties ; he was a most estimable man, honored and liked by all ; he died in 1859, in Delaware, whither he had moved in 1839. Our subject moved with his parents from Scioto Township to Delaware ; here he received a good common-school education, when he began to learn his trade as a painter, which he carried on in Delaware until the breaking-out of the late civil war, when he began recruiting soldiers, and on the organization of the 4th O. V. I., he was made Captain of Co. C, commission dating April 16, 1861, which was the first captain's commission issued in the State of Ohio ; the regiment was organized at first for the three-months service ; after the expiration of that time, Col. Crawford re-enlisted for three years, acting as Captain of Co. C until Nov. 14, 1862, during which time e he participated in all the marches and engagements of the regiment; on account of a hemorrhage of the lungs, he resigned, and came home After returning home, he was actively engaged in recruiting men, and afterward was appointed by Gov. Todd as Colonel of the Ohio National Guards, which included some 8,000 men; this command took an active part at the time of the Morgan raid through Ohio. Returning home, he e enlisted as Captain in the 100-day service in the 145th O. V. I. during which time he was in command of Forts Woodbury, Tillinghast and Craig as post commander ; after serving until the expiration of the time, he returned to Delaware, and was soon after made Colonel of the 21st Ohio National Guards ; from 1861 to 1865, he was actively engaged either in the field or recruiting men for the service, and faithfully discharged his duty. It may here be stated in this connection, that James W. Crawfbrd, father of Col. Crawford, was in the war of 1812, and at his death in 1859 left a wife and twelve children ; two of his sons were in the Mexican war; Thomas J. two years, and Andrew J. one year; three sons were in the late civil war-James M., Hugh S. and John A., the latter of whom was killed at Robinson's Cross-roads (or Mine Run), Va.; he also had five grandchildren in the late war, of whom two were killed ; this family has lost three killed in battle, and has furnished over twenty-three years of service; our subject in 1865 filled the office of Revenue Assessor of Delaware Co. to 1869 ; he then followed his trade as painter for a short time, when he entered his present insurance business ; he filled the office of Justice of the Peace for one term. Col. Crawford is a Democrat, but during the war voted for Lincoln ; since the war he has been a worker in the Democratic ranks ; he married, in 1864, Miss Sarah M. Henry, of Shelby Co., Ohio.  (1)

 

The State Reform School for Girls,” as it was originally called, but changed in 1872 by an act of the Legislature to the “Girls’ Industrial Home,” is on a beautiful site on the Scioto, ten miles southwest of Delaware, and eighteen above Columbus.  The spot was long known as the “White Sulphur Springs.”  In early times a hole was bored here 460 feet for salt water, but, instead, was struck a spring of strong white sulphur water.  In 1847 a large hotel and some cottages were put up for boarders, and the place was for a term of years quite a resort, but finally ran down.

It becoming a home for girls was the result of a petition to the Legislature by some of the benevolent citizens of the county, who, seeing the fine property going to decay, desired that it should be purchased by the State, and converted into an asylum for unprotected girls.  In 1869 the State purchased it, and founded the institution “for the instruction, employment, and reformation of exposed, helpless, evil-disposed, and vicious girls,” above the age of seven years and under that of sixteen.  The institution at times has over 200 pupils, and is on a well-conducted foundation.  Col. James M. CRAWFORD is the superintendent.  (31)

RESEARCH CONCERNS & ISSUES
None found.