Ostrander and Scioto Township History

Home Scioto Township Ostrander Other Places Maps Schools Fire Department Genealogy
Post Office Military Parks Cemeteries Communication Water Organizations Black History
Library & Links Bibliography Commerce Railroad Churches Banking Timeline Contact Us


John Minter
Born 1755; Culpepper Co., VA
Died June 1, 1835, Radnor, Delaware Co., OH  (15)
Buried Radnor Cemetery, Radnor, Delaware Co., OH  (15)
WIFE Elizabeth Crawford
Parents Valentine Crawford Jr., Sarah Morgan
Born Oct. 6, 1757, Frederick Co., VA
Died Oct. 26, 1829, Radnor, Delaware Co., OH
Oct. 27, 1829, Radnor, Delaware Co., OH  (15)
Buried Radnor Cemetery, Radnor, Delaware Co., OH  (15)
Married Abt. 1775, Shepherdstown , VA
CHILDREN Sarah Crawford Minter
William Minter
  John Minter
  Valentine Minter
  Mary "Polly" Minter
  Elizabeth Minter
  Margaret Minter
  Effie Minter
  Lucy Minter
Nancy Minter


 John Minter Tombstone   John Minter Tombstone    
John Minter
Elizabeth Crawford

Radnor Cemetery
Radnor, Ohio
John Minter Plaque
Radnor Cemtery
Radnor, Ohio
MINTER, Capt. John
State of Ohio
Delaware County

Be it remembered that on the twenty first day of November in the year eigthteen hundred and thirty two, personally appeared in open court before the judges of the Court of Common Pleas in this and said County of Delaware and the state of Ohio, now in session, John Minter, a resident of Radnor Township in the said county, age seventy seven years, who being first duly sworn according to law, doth on his oath, make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the Act of Congress passed June 7, 1832.

I the said, John Minter on my oath said oath state that I entered into the service of the United States and served therein as herein states to wit:

I was born in the year of 1755 in Culpepper County in Virginia. About the year 1770 I removed to a place near Connollville (now forty miles from Pittsburgh) then in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvaina and resided there during the revolution. During the revolutionary war I served as a Captain of a company of militia in that part of the country. I am now aged and my memory has become very trecherous. I recollect that I had been duly conscripted, but I cannot tell at present from what authority I received it, wheter from Congress, the state of Pennsylvania, or the state of Virginia but I suppose from the circumstances of the state of Virginia, claiming jurisdiction over the west part of Pennsylvania, that I received it from Virginia. Soon after the commencement of the revolutionary war, Gen. Hand, Commander at Pittsburgh and he conducted an expedition to the west of there. He had some regular troops with him, but mostly volunteers. I went with my company with Gen. Hand. I do not recollect the precise number of troops, but I about suppose there were as many as 3 or 400 hundred men. We marched to the west against the Indians. We march as far as the Cuyahoga River, and to a place within 30 miles of the place where Cleveland now stands. We surprised the Indians generally and therefore had no skirmishes with them. I saw during the expedition 15 Indians killed. From the Cuyahoga river we returned to Pittsburgh, after being absent five or six weeks. After that I went with some of my men with Gen. Hand in an expedition against some tories near the Laurel Hill to a place called Beavertown now called Uniontown. We took the leader of the tories there by the name of McCarty. I was in the service this time only a week or two. Some time after this I went again into the service with my company in the expedition of Genl. McIntosh. First to the mouth of the Big Beaver river where we built a fort [Fort McIntosh]. And were there some time. We then went to the Tuscarawas river where we built another fort [Fort Laurens]. I was in the service this time the greater part of the summer and before I was discharged there was a considerable snow of the ground. I do not recollect the length of time I served this time but I believe it was four or five months at least. I have long since lost my commission with names or papers. I have no documentary evidence and know of no person whose testimony I can procure who can testify to my services. After the Revolution I moved from Pennsylvania to Harrison County Kentucky where I spent upwards of twenty years. About the year 1808 I removed from there to Delaware County where I now reside.

I hereby relinquish all claims whatsoever to a pension or annuiyt except the present and declare that my name is not on the pension roll of any state.

Sworn and subscribed to this day and year aforesaid
/S/ John Minter

We, Wm C. Watson of Radinor [sic] Township and Moses Bixler of Delaware Township in said county residing in the neighborhood of the above named John Minter hereby attest that we are well acquainted with the said John Minter who has signed and sworn to the above declaration. That we believe him to be seventy seven years of age. That he is reputed and believed in the neighborhood where he resides to have been a soldier of the Revolution and we concur in that opinion.

Sworn and subscribed to this day and year aforesaid

Wm. Watson
Moses Buxbe

None found.
22 Jun 1778 , Appointed as Captain of the Militia of Yohogania Co., VA.
Kentucky  (35)
Came to Radnor, Delaware County, OH about 1804
None found.

Capt. John MINTER, from Kentucky, one of the early settlers in Radnor, and brother-in-law of Col. CRAWFORD, who was burnt by the Indians, was, in his younger days, a great hunter, and became famous for a terrible bear fight, in which he came very near losing his life.  When hunting alone one day he came across a very large bear and fired at him.  The bear fell, and reloading his gun MINTER advanced, supposing him dead, and touched his nose with the muzzle of the gun, when he instantly reared upon his hind legs to seize him.  MINTER fired again, which increased his rage, only inflicting a flesh wound, and then threw his hatchet at him; and as the bear sprang forward to grasp him he struck him with the rifle on the head with all his might, producing no other effect than shivering the gun to pieces.  Too late then to escape he drew his big knife from his sheath and made a plunge at his heart, but old Bruin, by a stroke of his paw, whirled the knife into the air, and enfolding its weaponless owner with his huge arms both rolled to the ground.


A fearful struggle then ensued between the combatants: one ruled by unvarying instinct, and the other guided by the dictates of reason.  The former depended wholly upon hugging his adversary to death, while the latter aimed at presenting his body in such positions as would best enable him to withstand the vice-like squeeze till he could loosen the grasp.  He was about six feet in height, possessing large bones and well-developed muscles, and being properly proportioned was very athletic.  The woods were open and clear of underbrush, and in their struggles they rolled in every direction.  Several times he thought the severity of the hug would finish him; but by choking the bear he would compel him to release his hold to knock off his hands, when he would recover his breath and gain a better position.  After maintaining the contest in this way several hours they, happily for him, rolled back near where his knife lay, which inspired him with buoyant hope, but he had to make many ineffectual efforts before he could tumble the bear within reach of it.  Having finally recovered it he stabbed him at every chance till he at last bled to death, only relaxing his hold when life became extinct.


He attempted to get up, but was too much exhausted, and crawling to a log, against which he leaned, his heart sickened as he contemplated the scene.  Not a rag was left on him, and over his back, arms and legs his flesh was lacerated to the bones by the claws of the bear.  By crawling and walking he reached home after night with no other covering than a gore of blood from head to foot.  His friends, who went out next morning to survey the ground and bring in the trophy, said the surface was torn up by them over a space of at least half an acre.  After several weeks he recovered, but he carried with him the cicatrices and welts, some of which were more than a quarter of an inch thick, till he died, which occurred about fifteen years ago.  He never desired another bear hug, but gave up hunting, and turning his attention to agriculture left his children a comfortable patrimony and a good name.  (35)

None found.