Ostrander and Scioto Township History

 
Home Scioto Township Ostrander Other Places Maps Schools Fire Department Genealogy
Post Office Military Parks Cemeteries Communication Water Organizations Black History
Library & Links Bibliography Commerce Railroad Churches Banking Timeline Contact Us
LODGE OF ODD FELLOWS
The lodge was organized November 2, 1871 and the delegates who were authorized to institute it were from Marysville, Delaware, Ruffner, and Beachtown.  The lodge itself was an outgrowth of the Ruffner Lodge at Millville and was instituted by Grand master H.Y. Beebe.  It was the only secret society in Ostrander.  In 1880 it had 43 members.  The following were named as charter members:  Daniel Dowart, D.G. Cratty, Robert McMillian, Isaac Anderson, and D.C. Fay.  Officers in 1880 were as follows:  John Pounds, Noble Grand, James Jennings, Vice Grand, Homer J. Cowles, Recording Secretary, D.G. Cratty, Permanent Secretary.  The lodge resided in the large frame building opposite the store of W.C. Winget in 1880.
 
GRAND ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC (GAR) JOSEPH TANNER POST# 531
The Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) was limited to only those men (and a few women) who served in the Union Army, Navy, Marine Corps or Revenue Cutter Service during the Civil War.  So, the organization ceased to exist when the last member, Albert Woolson, died in 1956.  The records at each GAR Post were kept locally and many of these records no longer exist.  The records for the GAR Post at Ostrander, Ohio, known as Joseph Tanner Post #531, do survive and can be found at the Ohio Historical Society in Columbus, Ohio.
 
OSTRANDER HORSESHOE CLUB
The Ostrander Horseshoe Club was organized in February, 1965.  The members completed the construction of a horseshoe park on the west end of the village and was hosting pitching tournaments by the Summer of 1966.  The park included lights, concession stand, fencing to protect spectators, and paved walkways.  Buckeye Valley Schools donated bleachers from the athletic field at the Ostrander School.

The horseshoe park has been a part of the community for 46 years and remains active today.  Summer evenings include the familar sound of horseshoes hitting the pin. 
 
OSTRANDER BUSINESSMAN'S ASSOCIATION
The Ostrander Businessman's Association was organized in 1956 with 29 members.
 
OSTRANDER SENIOR CITIZENS
 
LADIES AID SOCIETY
PHOTO ALBUM
MasonBuildingNews.jpg (47971 bytes) MasonicPride.jpg (255695 bytes) wpe99984.gif (855710 bytes) wpe06964.gif (1229830 bytes)
Mason Lay Cornerstone
July 9, 1926
Ostrander Lodge No. 594 Take Pride in Completed Building Sept. 1926
(bottom of news)
Millcreek Garden Club Plants Bulbs at Bank Ostrander Horseshoe Club is Active
Delaware Gazette
Sept. 16, 1966