Ostrander and Scioto Township History

 
Home Scioto Township Ostrander Other Places Maps Schools Fire Department Genealogy
Post Office Military Parks Cemeteries Communication Water Organizations Black History
Library & Links Bibliography Commerce Railroad Churches Banking Timeline Contact Us
FAIRVIEW - EDINBURGH
Fairview stands alone as the only village in  Scioto Township that no longer exists,.  It is the earliest village in the township having been platted about 1816, just two years after the formation of the township.  Originally known as Fairview or Fairview Corners, it  later became known as Edinburgh.

The village was named for its' "fair view" of Little Mill Creek as it sat on the banks of the creek in the vicinity of the present day intersection of SR-36 and Ostrander Road.  The road bed of SR-36 was raised considerably in the 1970's in preparation of the Mill Creek Damn Project which never materialized.  As a result, there is very little evidence of this historical village.

You will find Fairview Cemetery on Ostrander Road just north of SR-36.  The cemetery dates back to the village and many of our early pioneers can be found buried here as well as Jacob Ostrander.

Edinburgh began taking shape as early as 1815-16 when the families of William Cratty, John Lawrence, and Andrew Dodds settled near the site of Edinburg.  Shortly after the families settled, Edinburg was platted and people began to settle in this new hamlet.

Although the citizens of Edinburgh lobbied for the railroad to pass through their village, it passed just south of the village.  The people and commerce were forced to move into Ostrander for trade and shipping purposes and this led to the demise of the oldest village in Scioto Township.

Fairview, now called Edinburg, is the oldest village in the township. As early as the year 1815-16, the families of William Crafty, John Lawrence and Andrew Dodds came to the banks of Little Mill Creek, as we have elsewhere stated, and settled in the immediate neighborhood of each other, thus forming the nucleus for the hamlet. It is supposed that shortly after this, the town was laid out, and a plat made. Who platted it, and when it was recorded, are not known, as there is no date to the record. The town was laid out into twenty-seven lots. The principal street, running east and west, was called Harrison street. The streets running east and west were Columbus street, Franklin street. and East street. On account of its beautiful location, it was called Fairview. Soon after the plat was made, others came and settled in the place, and it began to grow rapidly. Its situation and surroundings being so favorable, it was thought the place thus scarted would become of considerable importance. These anticipations were warranted, in a measure, by its gradual growth, and years later, when there were prospects of the railroad being located through its limits, it seemed as if their hopes were to be realized. But upon its taking its present route, about one mile to the south, the establishing of Ostrander as a station in such close proximity proved the death of Fairview. The people of enterprise, and those interested in shipping, were soon compelled to move to the railroad station, and but a few buildings now remain to denote the location.  (1)
PHOTO ALBUM
   
Edinburgh
Plat Map
Edinburgh
Plat Map
   
ON ANOTHER PAGE
Fairview Cemetery
HISTORY'S MYSTERIES
The village was originally called Fairview and at some point the name was changed to Edinburgh.  When was it changed?  Why was it changed?  And, for whom was it named?

 

 

.