Ostrander and Scioto Township History

 
Home Scioto Township Ostrander Other Places Maps Schools Fire Department Genealogy
Post Office Military Parks Cemeteries Communication Water Organizations Black History
Library & Links Bibliography Commerce Railroad Churches Banking Timeline Contact Us
QUARRIES, LIME KILNS, AND BRICK KILNS
see burlet, fred (43)
see burlet, peter (43)
see colvin (43)
John Jones's Lime-Kiln
Bellepoint, Concord Twp, Delaware County, Ohio

The water in Mill Creek, at Bellepoint, is on No. 3 of the foregoing section, taken near the county line, and has excavated a channel in it to the depth of fifteen feet, with a heavy-bedded, firm stone of the same kind in the creek.  Above these heavy layers is a thickness of twelve feet of cherty beds, varying from four to nine inches, but usually from four to six.  John Jones's lime-kiln is escavated in these beds.  (43)
Margaret Evans's Quarry and Kilns
Scioto Twp, Delaware County, Ohio

A quarter of a mile below Millville, on the east side of the river, are the quarry and kilns of Mrs. Margaret Evans.  The hard, bluish layers of No. 3 of the section at Colvin's lime-kilns are here wrought for lime-burning, though the bedding here is less heavy than at Colvin's, being generally about three inches.  In the river bank, some distance below the quarry, but just west of it, the Waterlime is exposed, and was formally burned for lime.  It is distinguished as "the white stone," from the whiteness of the quicklime made from it, that from the Lower Coniferous being a little dark or ashen. (43)
Daniel Kelly's Quarry
Concord Twp, Delaware County, Ohio
Daniel Kelly's quarry is on the east side of the Scioto, a mile and three-quarters below Bellepoint. (43)
William Warren's Quarry
Scioto Twp, Delaware County, Ohio
The so-called "fire-stone" of William Warren's quarry, half a mile west of Millville, is the same as that burned for quicklime by Mrs. Margaret Evans, but is overlain at Warren's quarry by two fee of Delhi beds.  It is exposed also half a mile further north, on land of C.F. Burner and Thomas Jones. (43)
Rev. C.H. Perkins Quarry
The stone placed in the piers of the highway bridge over the Scioto, at the mouth of Bogg's Creek (possible Boke's Creek?) were taken from the quarry of Rev. C.H. Perkins.  It is in heavy beds, soft and vesicular, becoming firm after exposure to the air, and belongs to the lowest member of the Lower Coniferous, No. 3 of the section near the south county line.  The quarry is located on a run tributary to Prairrie Run, on the east side of the Scioto, one mile above Millville.   (43)
Richard Colvin's Quarry and Lime Kilns
Scioto Twp, Delaware County, Ohio

The stone church, located on the east side of the Scioto River approximately one mile north of Millville is made of the layers of No. 3 of the section of Colvin's lime-kilns. (43)
Samuel Perry's Lime-Kiln
Samuel Perry's lime-kiln is situated about two miles above Millville, and a mile east of the Scioto.  It is one of that series known as the Delhi kilns.  His quarry affords an exposure of ten feet in the Delhi stone.  The stone is not strictly white, nor even buff, on fracture, but in contrast with the blue beds of the Delaware stone it has been denominated white.  It is a light gray, with brownish mottlings, caused by bituminous matter, weathering buff.  The strike of these beds can be traced by topography north from Perry's quarry, and the are exposed so as to induce more or less lime-burning on the land of William Lawrence, William P. Jones, V. Dildine, John Powell, and P. Jones, and have a gentle dip generally to the east or south-east.  The quarry of Phillip Jones is so situated as to include about six feet of the bluish stone seen at Colvin's lime-kilns lying below the Delhi beds. (43)
Presley Said's Quarries
At a point two miles west of the Scioto, ascending Mill Creek, the Lower Coniferous disappears entirely, the Waterlime appearing at the surface.  The general surface features do not indicate the change, he whole being eroded by creeks, and made rolling or undulating.  The Drift is faded, the rock shattered, and deeply penetrated by infiltration of dirt.  The boundary line between the Lower Coniferous and the Waterlime passes through Presley Said's farm, where there are little quarries in both. (43)
Benjamin Bean's Quarry
Scioto Twp, Delaware County, Ohio

South from Ostrander one mile, on the south side of Mill Creek, in a little ravine from the south, is Benjamin Bean's quarry.  It is in the fossiliferous member of the Lower Coniferous which underlies the Delhi beds.  It embraces many corals and some brachiopods.  It is probably the equivalent of No. 4 of the section of Colvin's lime-kilns, already given.  Hence the formation shows a dip back to the west, leaving but a narrow belt of Waterlime.  Passing down Mill Creek from the bridge near Bean's quarry a quarter of a mile, no rock is visible in the banks, which are of drift and about fifteen feet high.  Fragments, however, lie about, which belong to the Delhi beds and to the bluish stone directly below them.  About twenty rods still further down, the Waterlime appears in the bed of the creek. (43)
The Scioto Lime and Stone Company
The plant of the Scioto Lime and Stone Company is located near Delaware, Ohio, and is connected with the Big Four Railroad by a siding.  This plant is one of recent construction, having been built entirely new since the Report of 1888 on the Lime Industry.  This plant was begin in 1899 by James Reaney, Jr. and Francis Starr, by the opening of a quarry and the construction of three kilns.  In 1901 two more kilns were added, and in 1902 Mr. Reaney purchased Mr. Starr's interest and Mr. H.E. Kendrick became treasurer and manager of that company and still remains in that capacity.  In 1903 three more kilns were added, making it today an eight-kiln plant.  As the plans will show, the kilns in use at this plant are of oblong section, with four furnaces to a kiln, with rather short stacks.  The fuel economy shown by these kilns is about the average for coal and natural draft.  The kiln capacity, as shown by the daily record, is rather above the average.  This is the only plant manufacturing high-calcium lime, which is illustrated in detail.  In 1905 this plant was equipped with the American Hydrating Company's machinery, which gives them a a capacity of six to eight tons per hour of hydrated lime.  In 1906 steel storage bins with steel covers and steel encased conveyors were installed.  The bins have a capacity of about one hundred and fifty tons, while the total storage capacity of hydrated lime is about twenty-five cars.  As in indicated on the plan, the coal for the kilns comes in on one side and is delivered from a rack on a level with the firing floor, while the finished product is delivered on the opposite side to tracks at a convenient loading level.  This plant has its cooperage storage, and cooperage shop, adjacent to the main plant.  The management contemplates the installation of a crusher to take care of materials too small for the kiln.  The product manufactured is as high or higher in calcium oxide as any produced in the state.  In consequence it is hot and quick slaking. (44)
PHOTO ALBUM