Rathbone is in Concord Township is deserves recognition in
Scioto Township history. When the railroad was
constructed between Springfield and Delaware, a railroad
station was placed on the road for the convenience of
Warrensburg and Rathbone. It was named White Sulphur
Station after the springs at Rathbone which used to be called
White Sulphur Springs.
State Reform School for Girls,” as it was originally called,
but changed in 1872 by an act of the Legislature to the “Girls’
Industrial Home,” is on a beautiful site on the Scioto, ten miles
southwest of Delaware, and eighteen above Columbus.
The spot was long known as the “White Sulphur
Springs.” In early
times a hole was bored here 460 feet for salt water, but, instead,
was struck a spring of strong white sulphur
water. In 1847 a large
hotel and some cottages were put up for boarders, and the place was
for a term of years quite a resort, but finally ran down.
a home for girls was the result of a petition to the Legislature by
some of the benevolent citizens of the county, who, seeing the fine
property going to decay, desired that it should be purchased by the
State, and converted into an asylum for unprotected girls.
In 1869 the State purchased it, and founded the institution
“for the instruction, employment, and reformation of exposed,
helpless, evil-disposed, and vicious girls,” above the age of
seven years and under that of sixteen.
The institution at times has over 200 pupils, and is on a
well-conducted foundation. Col.
James M. Crawford is the superintendent. (31)